Kaskadenforum - diskutieren und kritisieren.

At 80, Don Cherry still hasnt run out of stories, as his new book Straight Up & Personal shows. [url=http://www.footballseahawks

in Lyrik e. V. 20.01.2018 02:35
von jokergreen0220 • 135 Beiträge

At 80, Don Cherry still hasnt run out of stories, as his new book Straight Up & Personal shows. Michael Bennett Jersey . But he doesnt get to share them with Ron MacLean as much these days.The two are spending less time together, with MacLean busy with his Hometown Hockey duties.In his book, subtitled The World According to Grapes, Cherry fondly reminisces about their road trips and bucket of beer, six apiece, on ice after Hockey Night in Canada sessions.When things went wrong on the set of Hockey Night in Canada, and it happens a lot, when I would be in a tantrum, Ron would hold up six fingers, meaning six cold ones waiting in the (hotel) room, and I would say, Youre right and calm down, Cherry writes.Popcorn for MacLean, peanuts for Cherry, a game on the TV and a chin wag. Sometimes heated, mostly fun times.Such social time is at a premium now.We do Coachs Corner and then hes gone, Cherry said in a recent interview. So it has changed, I must admit.Before we used to sit together and watch every game ... every Saturday wed sit together for three hours. Sometimes now we dont sit together for two minutes, he added.Traditionally the two have shared Saturday nights and the playoffs together.We dont know what were going to do in the playoffs this year, Cherry said. But in the playoffs, were together from April 8 until June 19 every other day. You do get close, you cant help but get close.Otherwise, Cherry says not much has changed under the new Rogers broadcast regime although he doesnt see the other fellow hockey analysts because they are on a separate set.Its not quite the same because we were all together there before. But I have to admit theyve never told me what to do. I dont think they quite understand me quite the same but theyre never come and said You cant do this, you cant do that.I had a problem with them at the start about the time, as you saw ... They were a little upset over that.Its Cherrys fourth book, but first that he has written alone. Grapes: A Vintage View of Hockey, was written with Stan Fischler while he collaborated with Al Strachan on Don Cherrys Hockey Stories and Stuff and Don Cherrys Hockey Stories, Part II.Cherry wrote this one longhand, often in the middle of the night, starting last fall. An irregular sleeper, he would find himself up at 3:30 in the morning and start writing.I had a grand time doing it, he said.Straight Up & Personal covers a lot of ground, including a painful gout-ridden expedition to Afghanistan (he credits comedian Jimmy Mac for getting him through it) and his stint in Sochi, which left him praising the Russians.It opens with a near-death experience two years ago in the St. Lawrence River when Cherry had to be rescued after his canoe tipped over.I often wake up at night thinking of that water pouring into the canoe, said Cherry, who says he will never go on the water again without a life jacket.It also lays out Cherrys peripatetic minor-league career with special attention on his time under Eddie Shore in the American Hockey Leagues Springfield — the Alcatraz of Hockey.Years later, Brian Kilrea told Cherrys daughter Cindy what Shore had said when he was asked about the animosity.Cherry never said a word back, but that look of insolence on his face said it all, said Kilrea, quoting Shore.Cherry paid dearly for that expression. He says he was singled out and harassed on and off the ice, calling his time in Springfield torture.I went from Lord Fauntleroy and left, I think, as Attila the Hun, he said. I really toughed up in those three years. I found out the world is very cruel.And I had an attitude for almost the rest of my life after that — youre not going to get me. I walked in there as a babe in the woods. It taught me what life is really about. Youve got to be tough.Viewers may not know that Cherry spent time in camp with the Leafs. As a minor leaguer, we were treated terrible in Toronto, he recalled. Really bad.Cherry also relates how he got his start in coaching. Retired from playing, he worked construction for two years until he was laid off. A friend, Bob Clarke, asked him to coach a high school team in Rochester.He didnt want to do it, but accepted after realizing he had nothing else to do.Thats where I learned to change lines, he said. That eventually led to a coaching job with the Rochester Americans, where Clarke was a co-owner, and Cherry was on his way.Cherry remains a Canadian icon, with a 1993 Ford F-150 pickup and a 1983 Lincoln in his modest garage. Today he cannot walk through an airport without being stopped for pictures and autographs.But he remembers when times were tough. Once asked what his greatest fear was, he replied unemployment.The feeling when youre unemployed, you think everybodys against you. You start thinking that youre less than a man because everybody else is working ... Dark clouds come into your mind when you cant get a job, I tell you.I often wonder, boy, how lucky I was. Cherry says he had fun writing this book but it will be his last.I like to leave it having a lot of fun. Thats the big thing. Its like Coachs Corner. As soon as Coachs Corner is not a lot of fun, then I wont do it.So far so good, on that score.They leave me alone and thats why its fun, he said. As soon as people start telling me what to do and stuff like that, then it wont be fun.— Straight Up & Personal, by Don Cherry, Doubleday Canada, 195 pages, $29.95---Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter Marshawn Lynch Jersey .The Canadian teenage golf sensation announced Thursday shell join the LPGA Tour in 2015 instead of attending the University of Florida. Doug Baldwin Jersey . The seventh-ranked Berdych wants to focus on the ATP Tour after helping the Czechs beat the Netherlands in the first round. Seeking their third straight Davis Cup title, the Czechs will rely again on veteran Radek Stepanek. http://www.footballseahawksfanatics.com/authentic-steve-largent-seahawks-jersey/ . The last team in the NBA that will have any sympathy for the Thunder is the Minnesota Timberwolves, who are showing signs of putting everything together after two years of devastating injuries. MONTREAL -- The twin Mercedes of Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have so dominated the Formula One circuit this season that even a second-place finish that extended Rosbergs lead in the championship standings left them disappointed. "We need to make sure that were bulletproof," Rosberg said after Daniel Ricciardo passed the hobbled Silver Arrow with two laps to go to win the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday. "Having lost the win, thats very, very disappointing, definitely, and also disappointing for us as a team. We have such speed and such a great car, to not win the race and even just finish with one car and come second is hugely disappointing for us, definitely. "Our ambition is to finish one-two so we need to make sure that we get back there again next race in Austria." Mercedes had won every race in the series heading into Montreal, with Rosberg posting two victories and four second-place finishes. Hamilton won the other four races, finishing second in Monaco last month; he had engine trouble and did not finish the season opener in Melbourne. Thats pretty much what it takes to knock the Mercedes off the top spots of the podium, and it happened again this week on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Both Rosberg and Hamilton had the same problem, at about the same time -- the midpoint of the 70-lap race. When Rosberg radioed in for a solution, he was told, "We dont think we can resolve it." Rosberg said the problem put more pressure on the rear brakes, causing them to overheat. "I think it surprised us, yes, because the pace Mercedes has had all year," Ricciardo said. "Obviously, Im still going to take the victory, dont get me wrong. But they had their issues today, which allowed us to really make an attack. "But its nice that we capitalized on that. I think it would have been disappointing if they had their issues and they were able to still get the best of us." The second-place finish -- his seventh podium in seven races -- gives Rosberg 140 points of a possible 175 on the season; Hamilton is second with 118. Tedric Thompson Jersey. . Ricciardo moved into third with 79 after his first career Formula One victory, passing Ferraris Fernando Alonso (69 points), and Ricciardos Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel, the four-time defending world champion, finished third and is fifth in the standings with 60 points. "We are fully aware that Red Bull is still an amazingly strong team and pushing like crazy to catch us," Rosberg said. "We are well aware of that and we are always concerned and always making sure that our drive remains exactly the same as it was last year when we were half-a-second behind them. Were really pushing to even extend the gap." Vettel said he is feeling better about his car, but he wont let the two spots on the podium mask the fact that the Mercedes has been faster all year. And hes not counting on more mechanical problems for Rosberg and Hamilton in the future. "Today, I think we got lucky," said Vettel, the 2013 Montreal winner. "Obviously, it feels great and its a great reward for the whole team after such a painful winter and a very difficult start to the season. To get both cars on the podium and to beat at least one of the Mercedes, I think thats a very, very positive day for us." Ricciardo has two third-place finishes, two fourth-place finishes and a win in his last five races. He crossed the finish line second in the season opener in his homeland, but was later disqualified for an illegal fuel flow. Still, the 24-year-old Australian said it is too soon to the Grand Prix of Austria on June 22. "I think Ill just enjoy this for now and not look too far ahead," he said. "I think this is definitely a moment I should embrace. Im actually supposed to fly back tonight, but I dont know if I want to spend (the night of) my first victory on a plane." Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Volker Harmgardt
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 146 Themen und 166 Beiträge.

Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen